Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A hero of English folklore, who was no bigger than his father's thumb.
2. A person of very small physical stature.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) General, stage name of Charles Stratton. 1838–83, US midget, exhibited in P. T. Barnum's circus
2. a dwarf; midget
[after Tom Thumb, the tiny hero of several English folk tales]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a diminutive hero of folk tales.
2. an extremely small person; dwarf.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.