tom-tom(redirected from Tom-toms)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
tom-tom(tŏm′tŏm′) also tam-tam (tŭm′tŭm′, tăm′tăm′)
1. A mid-sized drum having one or two heads and a cylindrical body with a depth approximately equal to its diameter, often used in drum sets. Also called tom.
2. Any of various small-headed drums, usually long and narrow, that are beaten with the hands.
3. A monotonous rhythmical drumbeat or similar sound.
[Hindi ṭamṭam, probably of imitative origin.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Instruments) a drum associated either with the American Indians or with Eastern cultures, usually beaten with the hands as a signalling instrument
2. (Jazz) a standard cylindrical drum, normally with one drumhead
3. a monotonous drumming or beating sound
vb, -toms, -tomming or -tommed
(tr) informal to pass (information, esp gossip) around a community very quickly
[C17: from Hindi tamtam, of imitative origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a drum of American Indian or Asian origin, commonly played with the hands.
2. a dully repetitious drumbeat or similar sound.
[1685–95; < Hindi ṭamṭam]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tom-tom - any of various drums with small heads|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
tom-tom[ˈtɒmtɒm] N (= drum) → tantán m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
a kind of drum usually beaten with the hands. trom طَبْلَه شائِعَه في جُزُر الهِنْد الشَّرْقِيَّه тъпан tantã tam-tam die Handtrommel tam-tam ταμ ταμ tantán tamtamm طبل tomtom-rumpu tam-tamטמטם टॉम-टॉम tamtam tamtam ketipung trumba tam-tam 太鼓 (손바닥으로 치는 북) 톰톰 tamtamas tamtams gendang tom-tom tamtamtamtamtromme tam-tam (موسيقى ( ډول tantã tam-tam тамтам tamtam tamtam tam-tam tamtam[trumma] กลอง tam tam (davulu) 手鼓 тамтам ايک قسم کا ڈرم trống cơm 手鼓
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.