Thomas(redirected from Tomas)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Thom·as(tŏm′əs), Saint fl. first century ad.
One of the 12 Apostles. According to the New Testament, he doubted that Jesus had risen from the dead until he saw the wounds.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) Saint. Also called: doubting Thomas. one of the twelve apostles, who refused to believe in Christ's resurrection until he had seen his wounds (John 20:24–29). Feast day: July 3 or Dec 2l or Oct 6
2. (Biography) Ambroise (ɑ̃brwaz). 1811–96, French composer of light operas, including Mignon (1866)
3. (Biography) Dylan (Marlais) (ˈdɪlən). 1914–53, Welsh poet and essayist. His works include the prose Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog (1940), the verse collection Deaths and Entrances (1946), and his play for voices Under Milk Wood (1954)
4. (Biography) (Philip) Edward, pen name Edward Eastaway. 1878–1917, British poet and critic: killed in World War I
5. (Biography) R(onald) S(tuart). 1913–2000, Welsh poet and clergyman. His collections include Song at the Year's Turning (1955), Not that He Brought Flowers (1968), and Laboratories of the Spirit (1975)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an apostle who demanded proof of Christ's Resurrection. John 20:24–29.
2. Clarence, born 1948, associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court since 1991.
3. Dyl•an (Marlais) (ˈdɪl ən) 1914–53, Welsh poet.
4. George Henry, 1816–70, Union general in the U.S. Civil War.
5. Norman (Mattoon), 1884–1968, U.S. socialist leader.
6. Seth, 1785–1859, U.S. clock designer.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Thomas - United States clockmaker who introduced mass production (1785-1859)|
|2.||Thomas - United States socialist who was a candidate for president six times (1884-1968)|
|3.||Thomas - a radio broadcast journalist during World War I and World War II noted for his nightly new broadcast (1892-1981)|
|4.||Thomas - Welsh poet (1914-1953)|
|5.||Thomas - the Apostle who would not believe the resurrection of Jesus until he saw Jesus with his own eyes|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005