toon(redirected from Toones)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
Related to Toones: Tonnes
1. A large deciduous tree (Toona ciliata) of tropical Asia, Australia, and New Guinea, having dark red, aromatic wood.
2. The wood of this tree.
[Hindi tūn, from Sanskrit tunnaḥ, variant of tuṇiḥ.]
1. A cartoon, especially an animated cartoon.
2. A character in an animated cartoon.
1. (Plants) a large meliaceous tree, Cedrela toona, of the East Indies and Australia, having clusters of flowers from which a dye is obtained
2. (Forestry) the close-grained red wood of this tree, used for furniture, carvings, etc
[from Hindi tūn, from Sanskrit tunna]
(Film) a cartoon character
1. an Australasian tree, Cedrela toona, of the mahogany family, yielding an aromatic red wood used for furniture, carving, etc.
2. the wood itself.
[1800–10; < Hindi tūn < Skt tunna]
(sometimes cap.) a character in an animated cartoon.
[1980–85; shortening of cartoon]