toon(redirected from Toons)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A large deciduous tree (Toona ciliata) of tropical Asia, Australia, and New Guinea, having dark red, aromatic wood.
2. The wood of this tree.
[Hindi tūn, from Sanskrit tunnaḥ, variant of tuṇiḥ.]
1. A cartoon, especially an animated cartoon.
2. A character in an animated cartoon.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) a large meliaceous tree, Cedrela toona, of the East Indies and Australia, having clusters of flowers from which a dye is obtained
2. (Forestry) the close-grained red wood of this tree, used for furniture, carvings, etc
[from Hindi tūn, from Sanskrit tunna]
(Film) a cartoon character
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an Australasian tree, Cedrela toona, of the mahogany family, yielding an aromatic red wood used for furniture, carving, etc.
2. the wood itself.
[1800–10; < Hindi tūn < Skt tunna]
(sometimes cap.) a character in an animated cartoon.
[1980–85; shortening of cartoon]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||toon - a film made by photographing a series of cartoon drawings to give the illusion of movement when projected in rapid sequence|
short subject - a brief film; often shown prior to showing the feature
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.