touchstone(redirected from TouchStone (Band))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A hard black stone, such as jasper or basalt, formerly used to test the quality of gold or silver by comparing the streak left on the stone by one of these metals with that of a standard alloy.
2. An excellent quality or example that is used to test the excellence or genuineness of others: "the qualities of courage and vision that are the touchstones of leadership" (Henry A. Kissinger).
1. a criterion or standard by which judgment is made
2. (Minerals) a hard dark siliceous stone, such as basalt or jasper, that is used to test the quality of gold and silver from the colour of the streak they produce on it
1. a test or criterion for the qualities of a thing.
2. a black stone once used to test gold and silver by rubbing them on it.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||touchstone - a basis for comparison; a reference point against which other things can be evaluated; "the schools comply with federal standards"; "they set the measure for all subsequent work"|
benchmark - a standard by which something can be measured or judged; "his painting sets the benchmark of quality"
earned run average, ERA - (baseball) a measure of a pitcher's effectiveness; calculated as the average number of earned runs allowed by the pitcher for every nine innings pitched
GPA, grade point average - a measure of a student's academic achievement at a college or university; calculated by dividing the total number of grade points received by the total number attempted
procrustean bed, procrustean rule, procrustean standard - a standard that is enforced uniformly without regard to individuality
yardstick - a measure or standard used for comparison; "on what kind of yardstick is he basing his judgment?"
medium of exchange, monetary system - anything that is generally accepted as a standard of value and a measure of wealth in a particular country or region
system of measurement, metric - a system of related measures that facilitates the quantification of some particular characteristic
graduated table, ordered series, scale, scale of measurement - an ordered reference standard; "judging on a scale of 1 to 10"
standard of measurement, gauge - accepted or approved instance or example of a quantity or quality against which others are judged or measured or compared
baseline - an imaginary line or standard by which things are measured or compared; "the established a baseline for the budget"
norm - a standard or model or pattern regarded as typical; "the current middle-class norm of two children per family"
touchstone[ˈtʌtʃstəʊn] n → aune f
Job security has become the touchstone of a good job for many employees → Pour de nombreux employés, un bon travail se mesure aujourd'hui à l'aune de la stabilité de l'emploi.touch-tone [ˈtʌtʃtəʊn] adj [telephone] → à touchestouch-type [ˌtʌtʃˈtaɪp] vi → taper sans regarder le clavier