tee(redirected from Transesophageal echocardiography)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Related to Transesophageal echocardiography: cardioversion, Cardiac catheterization, Transesophageal echocardiogram
1. The letter t.
2. Something shaped like a T.
3. Informal A T-shirt.
4. Sports & Games A mark aimed at in certain games, such as curling or quoits.
to a tee
Perfectly; exactly: a plan that suits me to a tee.
1. A small peg with a concave top for holding a golf ball for an initial drive.
2. The designated area of each golf hole from which a player makes his or her first stroke.
3. A device used to stand a football on end for a kickoff.
4. A shaft with a concave top attached to a flat base, used to hold the ball in T-ball.
tr.v. teed, tee·ing, teesPhrasal Verb:
To place (a ball) on a tee. Often used with up.
1. To drive a golf ball from the tee.
2. Slang To start or begin: They teed off the fundraising campaign with a dinner.
3. Slang To make angry or disgusted: The impertinent remarks teed the speaker off.
[Back-formation from obsolete Scots teaz (taken as a pl.)]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Building) a pipe fitting in the form of a letter T, used to join three pipes
2. (Building) a metal section with a cross section in the form of a letter T, such as a rolled-steel joist
3. any part or component shaped like a T
1. (Golf) Also called: teeing ground an area, often slightly elevated, from which the first stroke of a hole is made
2. (Golf) a support for a golf ball, usually a small wooden or plastic peg, used when teeing off or in long grass, etc
vb, tees, teeing or teed
(Golf) (when: intr, often foll by up) to position (the ball) ready for striking, on or as if on a tee
[C17 teaz, of unknown origin]
(Curling) a mark used as a target in certain games such as curling and quoits
[C18: perhaps from T-shaped marks, which may have originally been used in curling]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the letter T or
2. something shaped like a T, as a three-way pipe joint.
5. the mark aimed at in various games, as curling.adj.
6. shaped like a T, esp. with a crosspiece at the top.
[1605–15; sp. form of the letter name]
n., v. teed, tee•ing. n.
a. the area from which the first stroke on each hole of a golf course is played.
b. a small peg or a mound of earth from which a golf ball is driven at the tee.
2. a stand on which a football is rested to position it for kicking prior to a kickoff.v.t.
3. to place (a ball) on a tee.
4. tee off,
a. to strike a golf ball from a tee.
b. to begin.
c. Slang. to make angry or irritated.
[1715–25; orig. Scots; appar. back formation from earlier teaz]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: teed
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Slightly elevated area from which a player drives the ball; also the peg on which the ball is placed.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tee - the starting place for each hole on a golf course; "they were waiting on the first tee"|
|2.||tee - support holding a football on end and above the ground preparatory to the kickoff|
support - any device that bears the weight of another thing; "there was no place to attach supports for a shelf"
|3.||tee - a short peg put into the ground to hold a golf ball off the ground|
golf equipment - sports equipment used in playing golf
|Verb||1.||tee - place on a tee; "tee golf balls"|
golf, golf game - a game played on a large open course with 9 or 18 holes; the object is use as few strokes as possible in playing all the holes
|2.||tee - connect with a tee; "tee two pipes"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
vật đỡ bóng gôn
1. (Golf) (= object) → tee m; (= area) → punto m de salida
the third tee → el punto de salida del tercer hoyo
the third tee → el punto de salida del tercer hoyo
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
tee[ˈtiː] n (GOLF) → tee m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
tee→ نُقْطَةُ الاِنْطِلَاقِ في لُعْبِةِ الـجُولْف podstavec tee Tee κοντομάνικο ρούχο punto de salida, tee tii té trojnik tee ティー 티 tee tee rzutnia suporte para a bola тройник utslagsplats เป้ารองรับลูกกอล์ฟในการตี golf sopası vật đỡ bóng gôn 球座
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009