Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Trojan horse: Trojan War
1. A subversive group or device placed within enemy ranks.
2. The hollow wooden horse in which, according to legend, Greeks hid and gained entrance to Troy, later opening the gates to their army.
3. Computers A program that appears to be legitimate but is designed to have destructive effects, as to data residing in the computer onto which the program was loaded.
1. (Classical Myth & Legend) Greek myth Also called: the Wooden Horse the huge wooden hollow figure of a horse left outside Troy by the Greeks when they feigned retreat and dragged inside by the Trojans. The men concealed inside it opened the city to the final Greek assault
2. a trap intended to undermine an enemy
3. (Computer Science) computing a bug inserted into a program or system designed to be activated after a certain time or a certain number of operations
1. a gigantic hollow wooden horse that the Greeks left at the gates of Troy as a feigned sacrifice: once the horse was within the walls, soldiers emerging from it allowed the Greek army to enter and conquer the city.
2. a person or thing intended to undermine or destroy from within.
3. a nonreplicating computer program planted illegally in another program to do damage locally when the software is activated. Compare virus (def. 4).
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Trojan horse - a subversive group that supports the enemy and engages in espionage or sabotage; an enemy in your midst|
social unit, unit - an organization regarded as part of a larger social group; "the coach said the offensive unit did a good job"; "after the battle the soldier had trouble rejoining his unit"
|2.||trojan horse - a program that appears desirable but actually contains something harmful; "the contents of a trojan can be a virus or a worm"; "when he downloaded the free game it turned out to be a trojan horse"|
malevolent program - a computer program designed to have undesirable or harmful effects
|3.||Trojan Horse - a large hollow wooden figure of a horse (filled with Greek soldiers) left by the Greeks outside Troy during the Trojan War|