tsar(redirected from Tsarina of Russia)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Variant of czar.. See Usage Note at czar.
tsar(zɑː; tsɑː) or
nAlso (less commonly): tzar
1. (Historical Terms) (until 1917) the emperor of Russia
2. a tyrant; autocrat
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) informal a public official charged with responsibility for dealing with a certain problem or issue: a drugs tsar.
4. informal a person in authority; leader
5. (Historical Terms) (formerly) any of several S Slavonic rulers, such as any of the princes of Serbia in the 14th century
[from Russian tsar, via Gothic kaisar from Latin Caesar]
ˈtsardom, ˈczardom n
or tsar(zɑr, tsɑr)
1. an emperor or king.
2. (often cap.) the former emperor of Russia.
3. an autocratic ruler or leader.
4. any person exercising great authority or power: a czar of industry.
[1545–55; < Russian tsar', Old Russian tsĭsarĭ emperor, king (akin to Old Church Slavonic tsěsarĭ) < Gothic kaisar emperor (< Greek or Latin); Greek kaîsar < Latin Caesar Caesar]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tsar - a male monarch or emperor (especially of Russia prior to 1917)|
Russia - a former empire in eastern Europe and northern Asia created in the 14th century with Moscow as the capital; powerful in the 17th and 18th centuries under Peter the Great and Catherine the Great when Saint Petersburg was the capital; overthrown by revolution in 1917
tsar[zɑːʳ] N → zar m
n → Zar m
tsar[zɑːʳ] n → zar m inv
(the status of) any of the former emperors of Russia. He was crowned tsar; Tsar Nicholas. tsaar قَيْصَر цар czar car der/die Zar(in) zar τσάροςzar tsaar تزار tsaari tsar צָאר रूस का बादशाह car cár kaisar tsar, (Rússa)keisari zar ロシア皇帝 (러시아의) 황제 caras cars Tsar tsaartsarcar تزار czar ţar царь cár car car tsar จักรพรรดิ çar 沙皇 цар شہنشاہ روس Nga Hoàng 沙皇