Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to Tupi: Tupinamba
Tu·pí(to͞o-pē′) or Tu·pi (to͞o′pē, to͞o-pē′)
n. pl. Tupí or Tu·pís also Tupi or Tu·pis
1. A member of any of a group of South American Indian peoples living along the coast of Brazil, in the Amazon River valley, and in Paraguay.
2. The Tupian language of the Tupí.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl -pis or -pi
1. (Peoples) a member of a South American Indian people of Brazil and Paraguay
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Tupi-Guarani family
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or Tu•pí(tuˈpi, ˈtu pi)
n., pl. -pis, (esp. collectively) -pi.
1. a member of any of various groupings of American Indian peoples that inhabit or formerly inhabited parts of Brazil S of the Amazon River.
2. the family of closely related languages spoken by these peoples.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Tupi - a member of the South American Indian people living in Brazil and Paraguay|
South American Indian - a member of a native Indian group in South America
|2.||Tupi - the language spoken by the Tupi of Brazil and Paraguay|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.