turban(redirected from Turbans)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Turbans: Sikh
1. A headdress consisting of a long piece of cloth wound around a small cap or directly around the head, traditionally worn in North Africa, the Near East, and Central and South Asia.
2. A hat that resembles a turban, especially a brimless, close-fitting cap of draped fabric.
[French, from Ottoman Turkish tülbend, piece of muslin cloth used as a head covering or headscarf, variant of earlier dülbend, from Persian dōlband, wrapping cloth for a turban : from dōl, bucket (probably in reference to the tall cap around which a turban was wound and of Arabic origin; akin to Syriac dawlā and Akkadian dalû, bucket) + band, band of cloth, puttee; see bund1.]
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a man's headdress, worn esp by Muslims, Hindus, and Sikhs, made by swathing a length of linen, silk, etc, around the head or around a caplike base
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a woman's brimless hat resembling this
3. (Clothing & Fashion) any headdress resembling this
[C16: from Turkish tülbend, from Persian dulband]
ˈturbaned, ˈturbanned adj
1. a man's headdress worn chiefly by Muslims in S Asia, consisting of a long cloth of silk, linen, cotton, etc., wound either about a cap or directly around the head.
2. any headdress resembling this, esp. a woman's close-fitting, brimless hat of soft fabric.
[1555–65; earlier torbant, variant of tulbant < Turkish tülbent < Persian dulband]
turban[ˈtɜːbən] N → turbante m
turban[ˈtɜːrbən] n → turban m
n → Turban m
turban[ˈtɜːbən] n → turbante m
a long piece of cloth worn wound round the head, especially by men belonging to certain of the races and religions of Asia. tulband عِمامَه чалма turbante turban der Turban turban τουρμπάνι turbante turban عمامه turbaani turbanטורבן पगड़ी turban turbán surban túrban turbante ターバン 터번, 여성용의 챙이 없는 작은 모자 turbanas turbāns serban tulbandturbanturban لنګی turbante turban чалма turban turban turban turban ผ้าโพกหัวของชาวมุสลิม türban, sarık (回教)女用頭巾 тюрбан, чалма عمامہ، پگڑي khăn xếp （伊斯兰教徒的）包头巾