Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A domestic cat of a slender breed developed in Turkey, which has long silky fur with no undercoat. It is often white but is bred in a wide range of colors and patterns.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Breeds) a long-haired breed of cat, similar to the Persian
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
An•go•ra(æŋˈgɔr ə, -ˈgoʊr ə, æn-)
n., pl. -ras,
1. Also called Ango′ra cat′.
a. one of a breed of longhaired domestic cats with a long body and a wedge-shaped head, raised orig. in Turkey.
b. any longhaired domestic cat.
2. (often l.c.) Also called Ango′ra wool′. the hair of the Angora goat or of the Angora rabbit.
3. (often l.c.) yarn, fabric, or a garment made from this.
4. former name of Ankara.
5. Also called Ango′ra goat′. a variety of domestic goat having long, silky hair called mohair.
6. Also called Ango′ra rab′bit. one of a breed of European rabbits raised for its long, silky hair.adj.
7. (usu. l.c.) made from a yarn or fabric of Angora goat or Angora rabbit hair: an angora hat.
[1825–35; earlier form of Ankara]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.