Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. Turkmen or Turk·mens
1. A native or inhabitant of Turkmenistan.
2. also Tur·ko·man or Tur·co·man (tûr′kə-mən) pl. Turkoman or Turcoman or Tur·ko·mans or Tur·co·mans A member of a traditionally nomadic Turkic people inhabiting Turkmenistan and neighboring areas in Iran and Afghanistan.
3. also Turkoman or Turcoman The Turkic language of the Turkmen.
4. A member of a Turkic people of northern Iraq.
5. The Turkic language of the Iraqi Turkmen.
[Medieval Latin Turcomannus, from Persian turkmān, Turklike, Turkmen : turk, Turk (from Old Turkic türk; see Turk) + -mān, resembling, like (from mānistan, mān-, to resemble; akin to Avestan mana-, measurement, manner, from mā-, to measure; akin to Sanskrit mimīte, he measures; see mē- in Indo-European roots).]
Turk′men, Tur′ko·man, Tur′co·man adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Languages) the language of the Turkomans, belonging to the Turkic branch of the Altaic family
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Turk•men(ˈtɜrk mɛn, -mən)
n., pl. -mens, (esp. collectively) -men.
1. a member of a Turkic people of Central Asia, now living mainly in Turkmenistan and adjacent parts of Iran and Afghanistan.
2. the language of the Turkmens.
[1925–30; < Turkish Türkmen]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Turkmen - a member of a Turkic people living in Turkmenistan and neighboring areas|
Turki - any member of the peoples speaking a Turkic language
|2.||Turkmen - a republic in Asia to the east of the Caspian Sea and to the south of Kazakhstan and to the north of Iran; an Asian soviet from 1925 to 1991|
CIS, Commonwealth of Independent States - an alliance made up of states that had been Soviet Socialist Republics in the Soviet Union prior to its dissolution in Dec 1991
Asia - the largest continent with 60% of the earth's population; it is joined to Europe on the west to form Eurasia; it is the site of some of the world's earliest civilizations
|3.||Turkmen - the Turkic language spoken by the Turkoman|
|Adj.||1.||Turkmen - of or relating to or characteristic of Turkmenistan or its people or culture|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.