turpentine(redirected from Turpentine substitute)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A thin volatile terpenoid essential oil, C10H16, obtained by steam distillation or other means from the wood or exudate of certain pine trees and used as a paint thinner, solvent, and medicinally as a liniment. Also called oil of turpentine, spirit of turpentine.
2. The sticky mixture of resin and volatile oil from which turpentine is distilled.
3. A brownish-yellow resinous liquid obtained from the terebinth.
tr.v. tur·pen·tined, tur·pen·tin·ing, tur·pen·tines
1. To apply turpentine to or mix turpentine with.
2. To extract turpentine from (a tree).
[Middle English, resin of the terebinth, from Old French terebentine, from Latin terebinthina (rēsīna), terebinth (resin), from Greek terebinthinē, feminine of terebenthinos, from terebinthos, terebinth tree.]
tur′pen·tin′ic (-tĭn′ĭk), tur′pen·tin′ous (-tĭn′əs) adj.
1. (Elements & Compounds) Also called: gum turpentine any of various viscous oleoresins obtained from various coniferous trees, esp from the longleaf pine, and used as the main source of commercial turpentine
2. (Elements & Compounds) a brownish-yellow sticky viscous oleoresin that exudes from the terebinth tree
3. (Elements & Compounds) Also called: oil of turpentine or spirits of turpentine a colourless flammable volatile liquid with a pungent odour, distilled from turpentine oleoresin. It is an essential oil containing a mixture of terpenes and is used as a solvent for paints and in medicine as a rubefacient and expectorant. Sometimes (esp Brit) shortened to: turps
4. (Elements & Compounds) (not in technical usage) Also called: turpentine substitute or white spirit any one of a number of thinners for paints and varnishes, consisting of fractions of petroleum.
5. to treat or saturate with turpentine
6. (Plants) to extract crude turpentine from (trees)
[C14 terebentyne, from Medieval Latin terbentīna, from Latin terebinthīna turpentine, from terebinthus the turpentine tree, terebinth]
n., v. -tined, -tin•ing. n.
1. any of various oleoresins derived from coniferous trees and yielding a volatile oil and a resin when distilled.
2. Also called oil of turpentine, spirits of turpentine.a distilled form of this oleoresin, having a penetrating odor and a pungent, bitter taste, used as a paint thinner and solvent and in medicine.
3. an oleoresin exuded by the terebinth; Chian turpentine.v.t.
4. to treat with turpentine; apply turpentine to.
5. to gather or take crude turpentine from (trees).
[1275–1325; late Middle English, alter. of Middle English ter(e)bentyn(e) < Medieval Latin ter(e)bentīna, for Latin terebinthīna, n. use of feminine of terebinthīnus, adj. derivative of terebinth(us) terebinth]
tur`pen•tin′ic (-ˈtɪn ɪk) tur′pen•tin`ous (-ˌtɪn əs, -ˌtaɪ nəs) adj.
1. A thin, easily vaporized oil, C10H16, that is distilled from the wood or resin of certain pine trees. It is used as a paint thinner and solvent.
2. The sticky mixture of resin and oil from which this oil is distilled.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||turpentine - obtained from conifers (especially pines)|
oil of turpentine, spirit of turpentine, turps, turpentine - volatile liquid distilled from turpentine oleoresin; used as paint thinner and solvent and medicinally
oleoresin - a naturally occurring mixture of a resin and an essential oil; obtained from certain plants
Chian turpentine - a turpentine exuded by the terebinth
|2.||turpentine - volatile liquid distilled from turpentine oleoresin; used as paint thinner and solvent and medicinally|
essential oil, volatile oil - an oil having the odor or flavor of the plant from which it comes; used in perfume and flavorings
turpentine[ˈtɜːrpəntaɪn] turps [ˈtɜːrps] n → (essence f de) térébenthine f
a type of oil used for thinning certain kinds of paint, cleaning paint-brushes etc. terpentyn بوابَه دَوّارَه терпентин terebentina terpentýn das Terpentin terpentin νέφτιtrementina, aguarrás tärpentiin روغن تربانتین tärpätti térébenthine טֶרפֶּנטִין टर्पैन्टाइन गंध बिरोजा terpentin terpentin terpentin terpentína trementina テレビン油 테레빈유 terpentinas terpentīns turpentin terpentijnolieterpentin, white-spiritterpentyna د تریانتین غوړی terebentina terebentină скипидар terpentín terpentin terpentin terpentin น้ำมันสน terpentin, neft yağı 松節油 скипидар, терпентин تاڑپين کا تيل nhựa thông 松节油