Ugaritic(redirected from Ugaritic language)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
The Semitic language of Ugarit.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Languages) an extinct Semitic language of N Syria
2. (Historical Terms) an extinct Semitic language of N Syria
3. (Languages) of or relating to this language
4. (Historical Terms) of or relating to this language
[C19: after Ugarit (modern name: Ras Shamra), an ancient Syrian city-state]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
U•ga•rit•ic(ˌu gəˈrɪt ɪk, ˌyu-)
1. of or pertaining to Ugarit, its people, or their language.n.
2. the western Semitic language of the inhabitants of Ugarit, written in a cuneiform alphabet.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.