Olympic Games(redirected from Unannounced Olympiads)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. (used with a pl. verb) A group of modern international athletic contests held as separate winter and summer competitions every four years in a different city. In 1994 the winter games were moved ahead two years so that the winter and summer games would alternate every two years.
b. (used with a sing. verb) The set of contests that occur in one season: an Olympic Games that was boycotted by many countries.
2. (used with a pl. verb) A Pan-Hellenic festival in ancient Greece consisting of athletic games and contests of choral poetry and dance, first celebrated in 776 bc and held periodically until ad 393 on the plain of Olympia in honor of the Olympian Zeus. In this sense, also called Olympian Games; In all senses, also called Olympics.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n (functioning as singular or plural)
1. (Historical Terms) the greatest Panhellenic festival, held every fourth year in honour of Zeus at ancient Olympia. From 472 bc, it consisted of five days of games, sacrifices, and festivities
2. (General Sporting Terms) Also called: the Olympics the modern revival of these games, consisting of international athletic and sporting contests held every four years in a selected country since their inception in Athens in 1896. See also Winter Olympic Games
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Also, Olym′pian Games′. the greatest of the national festivals of ancient Greece, held every four years on the plain of Olympia in Elis.
2. a modern international sports competition traditionally held every four years but, after 1992, with Summer Games and Winter Games alternating every two years.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Olympic Games - the modern revival of the ancient games held once every 4 years in a selected country|
|2.||Olympic Games - the ancient Panhellenic celebration at Olympia in honor of Zeus; held every 4 years beginning in 776 BC|
agon - a festivity in ancient Greece at which competitors contended for prizes
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Michezo ya Olimpiki
Thế vận hội
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995