underwriting(redirected from Underwriting agreement)
Also found in: Medical, Financial, Acronyms.
Related to Underwriting agreement: underwritings
v. un·der·wrote (-rōt′), un·der·writ·ten (-rĭt′n), un·der·writ·ing, un·der·writes
a. To assume financial responsibility for; agree to pay the costs of: underwrite a theatrical production.
b. To supply with funding, especially as a sponsor: underwrite a public television show.
a. To sign (an insurance policy) so as to assume liability in case of specified losses.
b. To insure.
c. To insure against losses totaling (a given amount).
a. To guarantee the purchase of (a full issue of stocks or bonds).
b. To agree to buy the unsold part of (stock not yet sold publicly) at a fixed time and price.
a. To write under or at the end of something.
b. To subscribe to, especially to sign or endorse (a document).
5. To support or agree to (a decision, for example).
To act as an underwriter, especially to issue an insurance policy.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Banking & Finance) finance the act of undertaking to purchase at an agreed price any unsold portion of a public issue of shares etc
2. (Banking & Finance) the act of accepting financial responsibility for a commercial project or enterprise
3. (Insurance) insurance the act of signing and issuing an insurance policy, thus accepting liability if specified losses occur
4. (Insurance) insurance the act of insuring a property or risk
5. (Insurance) insurance the act of accepting liability up to a specified amount in an insurance policy
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014