United Nations(redirected from United Nations Fighting Forces)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to United Nations Fighting Forces: United Nations Peacekeeping Forces
An international organization composed of most of the countries of the world. It was founded in 1945 to promote peace, security, and economic development.
n (functioning as singular or plural)
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) an international organization of independent states, with its headquarters in New York City, that was formed in 1945 to promote peace and international cooperation and security. Abbreviation: UN
2. (Historical Terms) (in World War II) a coalition of 26 nations that signed a joint declaration in Jan 1942, pledging their full resources to defeating the Axis powers
3. (Military) (in World War II) a coalition of 26 nations that signed a joint declaration in Jan 1942, pledging their full resources to defeating the Axis powers
1. (used with a sing. v.) an international organization with headquarters in New York City, formed in 1945 to promote peace, security, and cooperation. Abbr.: UN, U.N.
2. (used with a pl. v.) the nations that signed a joint declaration in 1942, pledging to employ full resources against the Axis powers.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||United Nations - an organization of independent states formed in 1945 to promote international peace and security|
global organization, international organisation, international organization, world organisation, world organization - an international alliance involving many different countries
General Assembly - the supreme deliberative assembly of the United Nations
United Nations Secretariat - the administrative arm of the United Nations
Security Council, SC - a permanent council of the United Nations; responsible for preserving world peace
Trusteeship Council, TC - a permanent council of the United Nations that commissions a country (or countries) to undertake the administration of a territory
Economic and Social Council, ECOSOC - a permanent council of the United Nations; responsible for economic and social conditions
Economic and Social Council commission, ECOSOC commission - a commission of the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations
International Court of Justice, World Court - a court established to settle disputes between members of the United Nations
de Forenede Nationer
Egyesült Nemzetek Szervezete
Liên hợp quốc