up-and-down(redirected from Ups-and-downs)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Characterized by or exhibiting an alternating upward and downward movement.
2. Variable; changeable.
1. moving, executed, or formed alternately upwards and downwards
2. chiefly US very steep; vertical
backwards and forwards (along)
1. moving alternately up and down.
2. having an uneven surface.
3. changeable: up-and-down luck.
4. perpendicular or nearly so: a straight up-and-down hillside.
(lit) up-and-down movement → Auf- und Abbewegung f
(fig) career, fortunes, relationship, period → wechselhaft