Turanian(redirected from Ural-Altaic languages)
Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Tu·ra·ni·an(to͝o-rā′nē-ən, -rä′-, tyo͝o-)
Of or relating to the Ural-Altaic languages or to the peoples who speak them.
1. See Ural-Altaic.
2. A member of any of the peoples who speak languages of the Ural-Altaic group.
[From Persian Tūrān, Turkistan.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Peoples) a member of any of the peoples inhabiting ancient Turkestan, or their descendants
2. (Languages) another name for Ural-Altaic
3. (Peoples) of or relating to the Ural-Altaic languages or any of the peoples who speak them
4. (Peoples) of or relating to Turkestan or its people
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014