gout(redirected from Urate crystal arthropathy)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. A disturbance of uric-acid metabolism occurring chiefly in males, characterized by painful inflammation of the joints, especially of the feet and hands, and arthritic attacks resulting from elevated levels of uric acid in the blood and the deposition of urate crystals around the joints. The condition can become chronic and result in deformity.
2. A large blob or clot: "and makes it bleed great gouts of blood" (Oscar Wilde).
[Middle English goute, from Old French, drop, gout, from Medieval Latin gutta, from Latin, drop (from the belief that gout was caused by drops of morbid humors).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Pathology) a metabolic disease characterized by painful inflammation of certain joints, esp of the big toe and foot, caused by deposits of sodium urate in them
2. archaic a drop or splash, esp of blood
[C13: from Old French goute gout (thought to result from drops of humours), from Latin gutta a drop]
taste or good taste
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a painful inflammation, esp. of the big toe, characterized by an excess of uric acid in the blood that leads to crystalline deposits in the small joints.
2. a mass or splash, as of blood; spurt.
[1250–1300; Middle English goute < Old French < Latin gutta a drop (of fluid); gout in the feet formerly was attributed to drops of a corrupted humor]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A hereditary disorder caused by painful deposits of crystals in the joints, especially of the big toe, knee, or elbow. It is caused by abnormally high levels of uric acid in the blood.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
A condition in which uric acid solidifies into crystals in the joints. Kidney tissue may also be affected.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gout - a painful inflammation of the big toe and foot caused by defects in uric acid metabolism resulting in deposits of the acid and its salts in the blood and joints|
arthritis - inflammation of a joint or joints
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
gout[gaʊt] N (Med) → gota f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
gout[ˈgaʊt] n → goutte f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n (Med) → Gicht f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
gout[gaʊt] n (Med) → gotta
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
n. gota, enfermedad hereditaria causada por defecto del metabolismo de ácido úrico.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.