activator(redirected from Urokinase-Type Plasminogen Activator)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Urokinase-Type Plasminogen Activator: Plasminogen activator inhibitor
tr.v. ac·ti·vat·ed, ac·ti·vat·ing, ac·ti·vates
1. To set in motion; make active or more active.
2. To organize or create (a military unit, for example): activate the National Guard.
3. To treat (sewage) with aeration and bacteria to aid decomposition.
4. Chemistry To accelerate a reaction in, as by heat.
5. Physics To make (a substance) radioactive.
6. Biology To convert (a molecule or cell) into a form that carries out a specific action: activate an enzyme; activate B cells.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
ac•ti•va•tor(ˈæk təˌveɪ tər)
1. a person or thing that activates.
2. Chem., Biochem. a catalyst.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||activator - (biology) any agency bringing about activation; a molecule that increases the activity of an enzyme or a protein that increases the production of a gene product in DNA transcription|
substance - the real physical matter of which a person or thing consists; "DNA is the substance of our genes"
activating agent - (mineral extraction) a surface-active chemical used in flotation process to increase the attraction to a specific mineral
catalyst, accelerator - (chemistry) a substance that initiates or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected
sensitiser, sensitizer - (chemistry) a substance other than a catalyst that facilitates the start of a catalytic reaction
inhibitor - a substance that retards or stops an activity
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
activator[ˈæktɪˌveɪtəʳ] N → activador m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
activatorn activador m
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.