ficus(redirected from Urostigma)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Urostigma: banyan tree
n. pl. ficus also fi·cus·es
Any of numerous tropical or subtropical trees, shrubs, or vines of the genus Ficus, especially F. benjamina, commonly grown as a houseplant.
[Latin fīcus, fig.]
1. any tree or shrub of the genus Ficus, of the mulberry family, bearing syconia as its fruit.
2. the turbinate or pear-shaped fruit of such a tree or shrub.
3. a contemptibly trifling amount; the least bit: Their help wasn't worth a fig.
4. a gesture of contempt.
[1175–1225; Middle English fige < Old French < Old Provençal figa « Latin fīcus]
1. dress or array: to appear at a party in full fig.
2. condition: to feel in fine fig.
[1685–95; earlier feague to liven, whip up < German fegen to furbish, sweep, clean; akin to fair1]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Ficus - large genus of tropical trees or shrubs or climbers including fig trees|
dicot genus, magnoliopsid genus - genus of flowering plants having two cotyledons (embryonic leaves) in the seed which usually appear at germination
family Moraceae, Moraceae, mulberry family - trees or shrubs having a milky juice; in some classifications includes genus Cannabis
fig tree - any moraceous tree of the tropical genus Ficus; produces a closed pear-shaped receptacle that becomes fleshy and edible when mature
Ficus aurea, Florida strangler fig, golden fig, strangler fig, wild fig - a strangler tree native to southern Florida and West Indies; begins as an epiphyte eventually developing many thick aerial roots and covering enormous areas