martyrology(redirected from Usuard, Martyrology of)
n. pl. mar·tyr·ol·o·gies
1. An official list or catalog of religious martyrs, especially of Christian martyrs.
2. An account of the life and manner of death of a martyr.
3. The branch of ecclesiastical history or hagiography that deals with martyrs.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -gies
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) an official list of martyrs
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) Christianity the study of the lives of the martyrs
3. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a historical account of the lives of martyrs
martyrological, ˌmartyroˈlogic adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
mar•tyr•ol•o•gy(ˌmɑr təˈrɒl ə dʒi)
n., pl. -gies.
1. a history of martyrs.
2. a catalogue of martyrs and saints.
[1590–1600; < Medieval Latin < Late Greek]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.