van(redirected from Van (vehicle))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. An enclosed boxlike motor vehicle having rear or side doors and side panels especially for transporting people.
b. A covered or enclosed truck or wagon often used for transporting goods or livestock.
2. Chiefly British A closed railroad car used for carrying baggage or freight.
v. vanned, van·ning, vans
To transport by van: vanned the horses to the racetrack.
To drive or travel in a van: vanned around the country.
[Short for caravan.]
The vanguard; the forefront.
[Short for vanguard.]
1. A wing.
2. A winnowing device, such as a fan.
1. short for caravan1
2. (Automotive Engineering) a covered motor vehicle for transporting goods, etc, by road
3. (Railways) Brit a closed railway wagon in which the guard travels, for transporting goods, mail, etc
4. (Automotive Engineering) Brit See delivery van
(Military) short for vanguard
(Tennis) short for advantage3 Usual US and Canadian word: ad
1. (Agriculture) any device for winnowing corn
2. an archaic or poetic word for wing
[C17: variant of fan1]
1. (Placename) a city in E Turkey, on Lake Van. Pop: 377 000 (2005 est)
2. (Placename) Lake Van a salt lake in E Turkey, at an altitude of 1650 m (5400 ft): fed by melting snow and glaciers. Area: 3737 sq km (1433 sq miles)
[1600–10; by shortening]
1. a covered vehicle, usu. a large truck or trailer, used for moving goods or animals.
2. a smaller boxlike vehicle, resembling a panel truck, that can be used as a truck or for passengers or camping.
3. Also called van′ conver`sion. a van whose cargo area has been equipped with living facilities.
[1820–30; short for caravan]
[1400–50; late Middle English, variant of fan1]
Lake, a salt lake in E Turkey. 1454 sq. mi. (3766 sq. km).
Vana company of troops moving forward; the forward section of such a company or train of persons, 1633.
Examples: van of armies, 1879; of circumstances, 1820; of insurgents, 1816; of the Celtic migrations, 1850; of the procession, 1878; of testimonies, 1772; of the war, 1716.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||van - any creative group active in the innovation and application of new concepts and techniques in a given field (especially in the arts)|
|2.||van - the leading units moving at the head of an army|
army unit - a military unit that is part of an army
|3.||van - (Great Britain) a closed railroad car that carries baggage or freight|
railcar, railroad car, railway car, car - a wheeled vehicle adapted to the rails of railroad; "three cars had jumped the rails"
Britain, Great Britain, U.K., UK, United Kingdom, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom
|4.||van - a camper equipped with living quarters|
|5.||van - a truck with an enclosed cargo space|
bookmobile - a van with shelves of books; serves as a mobile library or bookstore
delivery truck, delivery van, panel truck - a van suitable for delivering goods or services to customers
laundry truck - van that picks up and delivers laundry; "a laundry truck stops by every week"
milk float - a van (typically powered by electricity) with an open side that is used to deliver milk to houses
moving van - a van used for moving home or office furniture
passenger van - a van that carries passengers
black Maria, paddy wagon, patrol wagon, police van, police wagon, wagon - van used by police to transport prisoners
A. N (Brit) (Aut) → camioneta f, furgoneta f; (for removals) → camión m de mudanzas (Brit) (Rail) → furgón m
van2 [væn] N (Mil, fig) → vanguardia f
to be in the van → ir a la vanguardia
to be in the van of progress → estar en la vanguardia del progreso
(inf: = caravan) → (Wohn)wagen m; gipsy’s van → Zigeunerwagen m (neg!)
n abbr of vanguard (lit, fig) → Vorhut f; (fig also) → Spitze f, → Führung f; he was in the van of legal reform → er stand an der Spitze der Rechtsreformer
a vehicle for carrying goods on roads or railways. He drives a van; (also adjective) a van-driver; a vanload of waste paper. paneelwa شاحِنَه، عَرَبَه микробус camionete nákladní vůz der Lastwagen;Lastwagen- varevogn; godsvogn; lastbils-; vogn- κλειστό φορτηγόcamioneta pakiauto, kaubavagun, furgoon کامین کوچک؛ وانت pakettiauto, vaunu camion מִסחָרִית, וָאן वैन kombi, kola za dostavu árukihordó tehergépkocsi, furgon mobil barang sendiferðabíll furgone 有蓋トラック 밴, 소형 트럭 furgonas, prekinis vagonas furgons; preču vagons van bestelwagen vare-/flyttebil; godsvogn furgon carrinha (de) camion фургон dodávka tovornjak kombi skåpbil, van รถตู้ kamyonet 箱型車，(火車)廂式貨車 товарний вагон گاڑي xe tải 运货车，（有篷的）货车