Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Vaughan(vôn), Henry Known as "the Silurist." 1622-1695.
Welsh metaphysical poet whose works include Silex Scintillans (1650-1655).
Vaughan, Sarah 1924-1990.
American jazz singer known for her complex bebop phrasing and her scat-singing virtuosity.
1. (Biography) Henry. 1622–95, Welsh mystic poet, best known for his Silex Scintillans (1650; 1655)
2. (Biography) Dame Janet (Maria). 1899–1993, British physician and university official: helped set up Britain's first National Blood Transfusion Service (1939): after World War II, became Britain's expert on the effects of radiation on humans; Principal of Somerville College, Oxford (1945–67)
3. (Biography) Sarah (Lois). 1924–90, US jazz vocalist and pianist, noted esp for her skill in vocal improvisation
1. Henry, 1622–95, English poet and mystic.
2. Sarah (Lois), 1924–90, U.S. jazz singer.