Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Vaughan(vôn), Henry Known as "the Silurist." 1622-1695.
Welsh metaphysical poet whose works include Silex Scintillans (1650-1655).
Vaughan, Sarah 1924-1990.
American jazz singer known for her complex bebop phrasing and her scat-singing virtuosity.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) Henry. 1622–95, Welsh mystic poet, best known for his Silex Scintillans (1650; 1655)
2. (Biography) Dame Janet (Maria). 1899–1993, British physician and university official: helped set up Britain's first National Blood Transfusion Service (1939): after World War II, became Britain's expert on the effects of radiation on humans; Principal of Somerville College, Oxford (1945–67)
3. (Biography) Sarah (Lois). 1924–90, US jazz vocalist and pianist, noted esp for her skill in vocal improvisation
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Henry, 1622–95, English poet and mystic.
2. Sarah (Lois), 1924–90, U.S. jazz singer.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.