saga(redirected from Viking saga)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Viking saga: Vikings
a. A prose narrative usually written in Iceland between 1120 and 1400, dealing with the families that first settled Iceland and their descendants, with the histories of the kings of Norway, and with the myths and legends of early Germanic gods and heroes.
b. A modern prose narrative that resembles a saga.
2. A long detailed report: recounted the saga of their family problems.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) any of several medieval prose narratives written in Iceland and recounting the exploits of a hero or a family
2. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) any similar heroic narrative
3. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) Also called: saga novel a series of novels about several generations or members of a family
4. (Theatre) any other artistic production said to resemble a saga
5. informal a series of events or a story stretching over a long period
[C18: from Old Norse: a narrative; related to Old English secgan to say1]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -gas.
1. a medieval Scandinavian prose narrative of events in the lives of historical or legendary individuals or families.
2. any narrative of heroic exploits.
3. Also called sa′ga nov`el. a form of novel that chronicles the members or generations of a family or social group.
[1700–10; < Old Norse; c. saw3]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
saga- Old Norse for "narrative."
See also related terms for narrative.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||saga - a narrative telling the adventures of a hero or a family; originally (12th to 14th centuries) a story of the families that settled Iceland and their descendants but now any prose narrative that resembles such an account|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. carry-on, to-do, performance (informal) (informal, chiefly Brit.), rigmarole, soap opera, pantomime (informal), chain of events, catalogue of disasters the whole saga of Hoddle's dismissal
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
رِواية طَويلَة عن أجيال أسْرَةٍ واحِدَه
saga[ˈsɑːgə] N (Hist) → saga f; (= novel) → serie f (de novelas) (fig) → epopeya f
he told me the whole saga of what had happened → me contó toda la odisea or historia de lo ocurrido
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
saga[ˈsɑːgə] n → saga
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a long, detailed story. I expect he told you the saga of his troubles. sage رِواية طَويلَة عن أجيال أسْرَةٍ واحِدَه сага saga sága die Saga saga έποςsaga saaga داستان حماسي saaga sagaהגדה आख्यान pripovjetka, saga családregény kisah saga saga 物語 무용담,전설 saga, istorija sāga; stāsts kisah panjang relaassaga saga, historia داتلانو كيسه، دمېړنو كيسه، جنګىكيسه، داّيسلينډ لرغونۍ جنګى كيسه saga saga сага sága saga saga saga, historia ตำนาน; เรื่องเล่า) destan 長篇故事 сага, легенда داستان trường thiên tiểu thuyết 长篇故事
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.