Viking(redirected from Vikings (Norsemen))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. One of a seafaring Scandinavian people who raided the coasts of northern and western Europe from the eighth through the tenth century.
2. A Scandinavian.
[Old Norse vīkingr, perhaps from vīk, creek, inlet.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n (sometimes not capital)
1. (Peoples) Also called: Norseman or Northman any of the Danes, Norwegians, and Swedes who raided by sea most of N and W Europe from the 8th to the 11th centuries, later often settling, as in parts of Britain
2. (Historical Terms) Also called: Norseman or Northman any of the Danes, Norwegians, and Swedes who raided by sea most of N and W Europe from the 8th to the 11th centuries, later often settling, as in parts of Britain
3. any sea rover, plunderer, or pirate
4. (Astronautics) either of two unmanned American spacecraft that reached Mars in 1976
5. (Peoples) (modifier) of, relating to, or characteristic of a Viking or Vikings: a Viking ship.
6. (Historical Terms) (modifier) of, relating to, or characteristic of a Viking or Vikings: a Viking ship.
[C19: from Old Norse vīkingr, probably from vīk creek, sea inlet + -ingr (see -ing3); perhaps related to Old English wīc camp]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. (sometimes l.c.) any of the Scandinavians who from the late 8th to the 11th centuries engaged in raiding, trade, and colonization throughout Europe and the islands of the N Atlantic.
2. Informal. a Scandinavian.
3. one of a series of U.S. space probes in 1975–76 that obtained scientific information about Mars.
[1800–10; < Scandinavian; compare Old Norse vīkingr, Old English wīcing, of disputed orig.]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A. N → vikingo/a m/f
B. ADJ → vikingo
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Viking[ˈvaɪkɪŋ] adj & n → vichingo/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995