Also found in: Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. (Historical Terms) (in the former Soviet Union) a rural soviet
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in the former Soviet Union) a rural soviet
3. (Historical Terms) (in tsarist Russia) a peasant community consisting of several villages or hamlets
4. (Human Geography) (in tsarist Russia) a peasant community consisting of several villages or hamlets
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. (formerly) a small administrative peasant division in Russia.
2. a rural soviet.
[1885–90; < Russian vólost'; Old Russian volostĭ region, state, authority, c. Old Church Slavonic vlastĭ sovereignty, power, derivative of Slavic *vald- rule, c. Lithuanian valdýti, Gothic waldan to rule; compare wield]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.