wake-up call(redirected from Wake Up Call)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. A telephone call that one requests to occur at a specific time in order to be woken up, especially in a hotel.
2. A sign or warning that alerts one to negative or dangerous behavior or circumstances: "Her personal life was spiraling out of control ... and her brush with death came as a wake-up call" (Geraldine Fabrikant).
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Telecommunications) a telephone call that wakes a person from sleep
2. an event that alerts people to a danger or difficulty
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||wake-up call - a warning to take action concerning something that was overlooked or neglected; "the bombing was a wake-up call to strengthen domestic security"|
warning - a message informing of danger; "a warning that still more bombs could explode"
|2.||wake-up call - a telephone call that you request be made a specific time in order to wake you up at that time (especially in hotels); "she left a wake-up call for 7 a.m."|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
wake-up call[ˈweɪkʌpˌkɔːl] N
1. (lit) ask the hotel staff for an early wake-up call → pídele al personal del hotel que te despierten temprano
2. (fig) → aviso m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
wake-up call→ خِدْمَةُ التَنْبِيهِ بِالهَاتِف buzení telefonem alarmopkald Weckruf κλήση συναγερμού llamada de aviso, llamada despertador hälytys réveil buđenje chiamata di sveglia モーニングコール 비상 신호 wekdienst automatisk vekkeanrop budzenie telefoniczne serviço de chamada, serviço de despertar сигнал побудки larmsignal การโทรปลุก uyarı çağrısı cuộc gọi báo thức 唤醒电话
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
wake-up calln (fam) llamada or llamado de atención
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.