Walloon(redirected from Wallon)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. One of a people of Celtic ancestry inhabiting southern and southeast Belgium and adjacent regions of France.
2. The Romance language traditionally spoken by the Walloons, descended from the Langue d'oïl and closely related to French. The use of Walloon has declined in modern times, and many Walloons now speak French in daily life.
[French Wallon, from Old French, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German walah, speaker of a Romance language and Old English wealh, foreigner, Celt.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Peoples) a member of a French-speaking people living chiefly in S Belgium and adjacent parts of France. Compare Fleming1
2. (Languages) the French dialect of Belgium
3. (Peoples) of, relating to, or characteristic of the Walloons or their dialect
4. (Languages) of, relating to, or characteristic of the Walloons or their dialect
[C16: from Old French Wallon, from Medieval Latin: foreigner, of Germanic origin; compare Old English wealh foreign, Welsh1]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a member of the French-speaking population of S and E Belgium.
2. a French dialect of the region inhabited by the Walloons, spoken also in a small adjacent area of France.
[< French Wallon=wall- (« Germanic *walh- foreign; see walnut) + -on n. suffix]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Walloon - a member of the French-speaking people living in Belgium|
Belgique, Belgium, Kingdom of Belgium - a monarchy in northwestern Europe; headquarters for the European Union and for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization
Belgian - a native or inhabitant of Belgium
|2.||Walloon - a dialect of French spoken in Belgium and adjacent parts of France|
French - the Romance language spoken in France and in countries colonized by France
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
→ Wallone m, → Wallonin f
(dialect) → Wallonisch nt
adj → wallonisch
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995