Walton(redirected from Waltons)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Wal·ton(wôl′tən), Ernest Thomas Sinton 1903-1995.
Irish physicist who with Sir John Cockcroft succeeded in splitting atomic nuclei by bombarding them with protons. The two men shared a 1951 Nobel Prize for this work.
Walton, Izaak 1593-1683.
English writer primarily known for The Compleat Angler (1653), a literary treatise on fishing.
Walton, Samuel Moore Known as "Sam." 1918-1992.
American business executive. In 1962 he founded Wal-Mart, which he built into one of America's most successful discount retail chains.
Walton, Sir William Turner 1902-1983.
British composer of chamber music and orchestral works, including Façade (1923), an extravaganza accompanying poems by Edith Sitwell.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) Ernest Thomas Sinton. 1903–95, Irish physicist. He succeeded in producing the first artificial transmutation of an atomic nucleus (1932) with Sir John Cockcroft, with whom he shared the Nobel prize for physics 1951
2. (Biography) Izaak (ˈaɪzək). 1593–1683, English writer, best known for The Compleat Angler (1653; enlarged 1676)
3. (Biography) Sir William (Turner). 1902–83, English composer. His works include Façade (1923), a setting of satirical verses by Edith Sitwell, the Viola Concerto (1929), and the oratorio Belshazzar's Feast (1931)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Ernest Thomas Sinton, 1903–95, Irish physicist: Nobel prize 1951.
2. Izaak, 1593–1683, English writer.
3. Sir William (Turner), 1902–83, English composer.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Walton - English composer (1902-1983)|
|2.||Walton - English writer remember for his treatise on fishing (1593-1683)|
|3.||Walton - Irish physicist who (with Sir John Cockcroft in 1931) first split an atom (1903-1995)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.