water chestnut(redirected from Water chestnuts)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. A tropical Asian aquatic sedge (Eleocharis dulcis) having cylindrical stems and widely cultivated for its edible corm.
b. The crisp nutty corm of this plant, used in Asian cooking.
2. A floating aquatic plant (Trapa natans) native to Eurasia and Africa, cultivated as an ornamental and for its edible four-pronged nutlike fruit, and occurring widely as an aquatic weed. Also called caltrop, water caltrop.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) Also called: water caltrop a floating aquatic onagraceous plant, Trapa natans, of Asia, having four-pronged edible nutlike fruits
2. (Plants) Chinese water chestnut a Chinese cyperaceous plant, Eleocharis tuberosa, with an edible succulent corm
3. (Cookery) the corm of the Chinese water chestnut, used in Oriental cookery
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any of several aquatic plants of the genus Trapa, family Trapaceae, with an edible, nutlike fruit, esp. T.natans of the Old World.
2. the fruit itself. Also called wa′ter cal`trop.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A dark, chestnut-sized bulb, grown in water. Used in Oriental cooking.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||water chestnut - a plant of the genus Trapa bearing spiny four-pronged edible nutlike fruits|
|2.||water chestnut - Chinese sedge yielding edible bulb-shaped tubers|
water chestnut - edible bulbous tuber of a Chinese marsh plant
spike rush - a sedge of the genus Eleocharis
|3.||water chestnut - edible bulbous tuber of a Chinese marsh plant|
Chinese water chestnut, Eleocharis dulcis, water chestnut - Chinese sedge yielding edible bulb-shaped tubers
tuber - a fleshy underground stem or root serving for reproductive and food storage
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.