Watson(redirected from Watsons)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Wat·son(wŏt′sən), James Dewey Born 1928.
American molecular biologist who with Francis Crick proposed a spiral model, the double helix, for the molecular structure of DNA. He shared a 1962 Nobel Prize for this work.
Watson, John Broadus 1878-1958.
American psychologist who developed the school of behaviorism based on his studies of animal behavior.
Watson, Thomas Augustus 1854-1934.
American telephone pioneer who assisted Alexander Graham Bell in his experiments and was the leader of research and engineering for Bell Telephone Company (1877-1881).
Watson, Thomas Sturges Known as "Tom." Born 1949.
American golfer who in 1982 became one of only a few players to win the US and British Open tournaments in the same year.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) James Dewey. born 1928, US biologist, whose contribution to the discovery of the helical structure of DNA won him a Nobel prize for Physiology or Medicine shared with Francis Crick and Maurice Wilkins in 1962
2. (Biography) John B(roadus). 1878–1958, US psychologist; a leading exponent of behaviourism
3. (Biography) John Christian. 1867–1941, Australian statesman, born in Chile: prime minister of Australia (1904)
4. (Biography) Russell. born 1973, English tenor: his albums include The Voice (2001) and Encore (2002)
5. (Biography) Tom, full name Thomas Sturges Watson. born 1949, US golfer, won eight major titles: the US Masters (1977, 1981), the US Open (1982), and the British Open (1975, 1977, 1980, 1982, 1983)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. James Dewey, born 1928, U.S. geneticist: Nobel prize for physiology or medicine 1962.
2. John Broadus, 1878–1958, U.S. psychologist.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Watson - United States telephone engineer who assisted Alexander Graham Bell in his experiments (1854-1934)|
|2.||Watson - United States psychologist considered the founder of behavioristic psychology (1878-1958)|
|3.||Watson - United States geneticist who (with Crick in 1953) helped discover the helical structure of DNA (born in 1928)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.