Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to Wesleyan: Wesleyan Church
Of or relating to John or Charles Wesley or to Methodism.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Protestantism) of, relating to, or deriving from John Wesley
2. (Protestantism) of, relating to, or characterizing Methodism, esp in its original form or as upheld by the branch of the Methodist Church known as the Wesleyan Methodists
3. (Protestantism) a follower of John Wesley
4. (Protestantism) a member of the Methodist Church or (formerly) of the Wesleyan Methodists
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Wes•ley•an(ˈwɛs li ən, ˈwɛz-)
1. of or pertaining to John Wesley, founder of Methodism.
2. pertaining to Methodism.n.
3. a follower of John Wesley.
4. Chiefly Brit. a Methodist.
Wes′ley•an•ism, Wes′ley•ism, n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Wesleyan - a follower of Wesleyanism|
Methodist - a follower of Wesleyanism as practiced by the Methodist Church
|Adj.||1.||Wesleyan - of or pertaining to or characteristic of the branch of Protestantism adhering to the views of Wesley; "Methodist theology"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj → wesleyanisch
n → Wesleyaner(in) m(f)
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007