wheeler(redirected from Wheeler, John Archibald)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. One that wheels.
2. A thing that moves on or is equipped with wheels or a wheel. Often used in combination: a three-wheeler; a paddle-wheeler.
3. A wheel horse.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Automotive Engineering) Also called: wheelhorse a horse or other draught animal nearest the wheel
2. (Mechanical Engineering) (in combination) something equipped with a specified sort or number of wheels: a three-wheeler.
3. a person or thing that wheels
1. (Biography) John Archibald. 1911–2008, US physicist, noted for his work on nuclear fission and the development (1949–51) of the hydrogen bomb, also for his work on unified field theory
2. (Biography) Sir (Robert Eric) Mortimer. 1890–1976, Scottish archaeologist, who did much to increase public interest in archaeology. He is noted esp for his excavations at Mohenjo-Daro and Harappa in the Indus Valley and at Maiden Castle in Dorset
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
wheel•er(ˈʰwi lər, ˈwi-)
1. a person or thing that wheels.
2. a person who makes wheels; wheelwright.
3. something provided with a wheel or wheels (usu. used in combination): a four-wheeler.
Whee•ler(ˈʰwi lər, ˈwi-)
William Almon, 1819–87, vice president of the U.S. 1877–81.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Wheeler - Scottish archaeologist (1890-1976)|
|2.||wheeler - someone who makes and repairs wooden wheels|
wright - someone who makes or repairs something (usually used in combination)
|3.||wheeler - the man at the outermost end of the rank in wheeling|
|4.||wheeler - a person who rides a bicycle|
|5.||wheeler - a draft horse harnessed behind others and nearest the wheels of a vehicle|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.