wigwag(redirected from Wigwag (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus.
v. wig·wagged, wig·wag·ging, wig·wags
1. To move back and forth; wag steadily or rhythmically: watched the pendulum wigwag.
2. To signal by waving a flag, light, or an upraised arm, especially in accordance with a code.
1. To move (something) back and forth steadily or rhythmically.
2. To convey (a message or signal) by waving a flag, light, or an upraised arm.
1. The act or practice of wigwagging.
2. A message sent by this method.
[Dialectal wig, to move + wag.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
vb, -wags, -wagging or -wagged
1. to move (something) back and forth
2. (Military) to communicate with (someone) by means of a flag semaphore
a. a system of communication by flag semaphore
b. the message signalled
[C16: from obsolete wig, probably short for wiggle + wag1]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
v. -wagged, -wag•ging,
n. v.t., v.i.
1. to move to and fro.
2. Naut. to signal by waving a flag or lantern according to a code.n.
3. Naut. the act or process of sending messages by the movements of a flag or lantern waved according to a code.
4. a message so signaled.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: wigwagged
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||wigwag - send a signal by waving a flag or a light according to a certain code|
|2.||wigwag - signal by or as if by a flag or light waved according to a code|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.