Essex(redirected from Willow Green)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
A historical region and Anglo-Saxon kingdom of southeast England. Probably settled by Saxons in the early sixth century, the kingdom was long dominated by Mercia and later by Wessex before and after its inclusion in the Danelaw territories from 886 to 917.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a county of SE England, on the North Sea and the Thames estuary; the geographical and ceremonial county includes Thurrock and Southend-on-Sea, which became independent unitary authorities in 1998. Administrative centre: Chelmsford. Pop (excluding unitary authorities): 1 324 100 (2003 est). Area (excluding unitary authorities): 3446 sq km (1310 sq miles)
2. (Historical Terms) an Anglo-Saxon kingdom that in the early 7th century ad comprised the modern county of Essex and much of Hertfordshire and Surrey. By the late 8th century, Essex had become a dependency of the kingdom of Mercia
(Biography) 2nd Earl of, title of Robert Devereux. ?1566–1601, English soldier and favourite of Queen Elizabeth I; executed for treason
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. 2nd Earl of, Devereux, Robert.
2. a county in SE England. 1,548,800; 1418 sq. mi. (3670 sq. km).
3. a kingdom of the Anglo-Saxon heptarchy in SE England.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
An automobile produced by Hudson Motor Car company of Detroit, Michigan from 1918 to 1932.
1001 Words and Phrases You Never Knew You Didn’t Know by W.R. Runyan Copyright © 2011 by W.R. Runyan
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Essex - a county in southeastern England on the North Sea and the Thames estuary|
England - a division of the United Kingdom
Home Counties - the English counties surrounding London into which Greater London has expanded
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.