Kent(redirected from Wilsley Pound)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A region and former kingdom of southeast England. Settled by Jutes in the fifth century ad, it became one of the seven kingdoms of the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy but was later eclipsed by the kingdoms of Mercia and Wessex.
2. A city of northeast Ohio east-northeast of Akron. Kent State University (founded 1910) was the site of a 1970 demonstration against the Vietnam War in which four students were killed by members of the National Guard.
A past tense and a past participle of ken.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
a past tense and past participle of ken
(Placename) a county of SE England, on the English Channel: the first part of Great Britain to be colonized by the Romans; one of the seven kingdoms of Anglo-Saxon England until absorbed by Wessex in the 9th century ad. Apart from the Downs it is mostly low-lying and agricultural, specializing in fruit and hops. The Medway towns of Rochester and Gillingham became an independent unitary authority in 1998. Administrative centre: Maidstone. Pop (excluding Medway): 1 348 800 (2003 est). Area (excluding Medway): 3526 sq km (1361 sq miles)
(Biography) William. ?1685–1748, English architect, landscape gardener, and interior designer
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Rockwell, 1882–1971, U.S. illustrator and painter.
2. a county in SE England. 1,538,800; 1442 sq. mi. (3735 sq. km).
3. an early English kingdom in SE Britain.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Kent - a county in southeastern England on the English Channel; formerly an Anglo-Saxon kingdom, it was the first to be colonized by the Romans|
England - a division of the United Kingdom
Home Counties - the English counties surrounding London into which Greater London has expanded
Canterbury - a town in Kent in southeastern England; site of the cathedral where Thomas a Becket was martyred in 1170; seat of the archbishop and primate of the Anglican Church
|2.||Kent - United States painter noted for his woodcuts (1882-1971)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.