wind instrument(redirected from Wind instruments)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Wind instruments: Percussion instruments
1. A musical instrument, such as a clarinet, trumpet, or harmonica, in which sound is produced by the movement of an enclosed column of air, especially the breath, and excluding keyboard instruments such as the organ or accordion. Woodwind and brass instruments are both types of wind instruments.
2. Informal A woodwind instrument, as opposed to a brass instrument.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Instruments) any musical instrument sounded by the breath, such as the woodwinds and brass instruments of an orchestra
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a musical instrument sounded by the breath or other air current, as the trumpet, oboe, or flute.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
- organ - Comes from Latin organum, from Greek oganon, "implement, instrument, tool"; it was first a very general term, but was then used for "wind instrument" and "functional part of the body."
- poop - Once had the meaning "to make an abrupt sound, as from a wind instrument."
- bell - The flared open end of a wind instrument.
- tootle - To toot continuously, as notes on a wind instrument.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||wind instrument - a musical instrument in which the sound is produced by an enclosed column of air that is moved by the breath|
bell - the flared opening of a tubular device
brass instrument, brass - a wind instrument that consists of a brass tube (usually of variable length) that is blown by means of a cup-shaped or funnel-shaped mouthpiece
free-reed instrument - a wind instrument with a free reed
kazoo - a toy wind instrument that has a membrane that makes a sound when you hum into the mouthpiece
musical instrument, instrument - any of various devices or contrivances that can be used to produce musical tones or sounds
pipe organ, organ - wind instrument whose sound is produced by means of pipes arranged in sets supplied with air from a bellows and controlled from a large complex musical keyboard
pipe - a tubular wind instrument
post horn - wind instrument used by postilions of the 18th and 19th centuries
whistle - a small wind instrument that produces a whistling sound by blowing into it
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
instrument à vent
n → Blasinstrument nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
wind instrumentn (Mus) → strumento a fiato
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995