familiar spirit(redirected from Witch's familiar)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. commonly or generally known or seen: a familiar sight.
2. well-acquainted: to be familiar with a subject.
3. informal: to write in a familiar style.
4. closely personal: to be on familiar terms.
5. unduly intimate: The duchess complained of familiar servants.
6. domesticated; tame.
7. of or pertaining to a family or household.n.
8. a familiar friend or associate.
9. a supernatural spirit or demon supposed to attend a person or another demon, often in the form of an animal.
10. a domestic employed by a bishop, seminary, etc.
[1300–50; Middle English famulier < Middle French < Latin familiāris of a household (see family, -ar1)]
syn: familiar, confidential, intimate suggest a friendly relationship between persons, based on frequent association, common interests, etc. familiar suggests an easygoing and unconstrained relationship between persons who are well-acquainted: on familiar terms with one's neighbors. confidential implies a sense of mutual trust that extends to the sharing of confidences and secrets: a confidential adviser. intimate connotes a very close and warm relationship characterized by empathy and sharing of private thoughts: intimate letters to a friend.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||familiar spirit - a spirit (usually in animal form) that acts as an assistant to a witch or wizard|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.