Wolof(redirected from Wollof)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A member of a West African people primarily inhabiting coastal Senegal.
2. The Atlantic language of this people, widely used as a lingua franca in Senegal.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl -of or -ofs
1. (Peoples) a member of a Negroid people of W Africa living chiefly in Senegal
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the West Atlantic branch of the Niger-Congo family
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -lofs, (esp. collectively) -lof.
1. a member of an African people of Senegambia.
2. the West Atlantic language of the Wolof.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.