layoff(redirected from Work furlough)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial.
1. The act of suspending or dismissing an employee, as for lack of work or because of corporate reorganization.
2. A period of temporary inactivity or rest.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Industrial Relations & HR Terms) a dismissal; redundancy
2. a period of inactivity
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the act of dismissing employees, esp. temporarily.
2. a period of enforced unemployment.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||layoff - the act of laying off an employee or a work force|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun unemployment, firing (informal), sacking (informal), dismissal, discharge The closure will result in layoffs of an estimated 2000 employees.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
layoff[ˈleɪɒf] n → licenciement m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005