Xhosa(redirected from Xhosa people)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Xho·saalso Xo·sa (kō′sä, -zə)
n. pl. Xhosa or Xho·sas also Xosa or Xo·sas
1. A member of a Bantu people inhabiting the eastern part of Cape Province, South Africa.
2. The Nguni language of this people, closely related to Zulu.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl -sa or -sas
1. (Peoples) a member of a cattle-rearing Negroid people of southern Africa, living chiefly in South Africa
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Bantu group of the Niger-Congo family: one of the Nguni languages, closely related to Swazi and Zulu and characterized by several clicks in its sound system
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Xho•sa(ˈkoʊ sə, -zə, ˈkɔ-)
n., pl. -sas, (esp. collectively) -sa.
1. a member of a Nguni people of E Cape Province, South Africa.
2. the Bantu language of the Xhosa.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Xhosa - a member of the Negroid people of southern South Africa|
Republic of South Africa, South Africa - a republic at the southernmost part of Africa; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1910; first European settlers were Dutch (known as Boers)
African - a native or inhabitant of Africa
|2.||Xhosa - a community of Negroid people in southern South Africa|
|3.||Xhosa - a Bantu language closely related to Zulu|
Nguni - a group of southern Bantu languages
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.