Carib(redirected from Yellow Caribs)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to Yellow Caribs: Black Caribs
n. pl. Carib or Car·ibs
1. also Car·i·ban (kăr′ə-bən, kə-rē′bən) A member of a group of American Indian peoples of northern South America, the Lesser Antilles, and the eastern coast of Central America.
2. Any of the languages of the Carib.
[Spanish Caribe, from earlier Carib karibna, person, Carib.]
npl -ibs or -ib
1. (Peoples) a member of a group of American Indian peoples of NE South America and the Lesser Antilles
2. (Languages) the family of languages spoken by these peoples
[C16: from Spanish Caribe, from Arawak]
n., pl. -ibs, (esp. collectively) -ib for 1.
1. a member of an American Indian people that aboriginally inhabited parts of the Lesser Antilles and the South American coast from E Venezuela to the Amazon delta.
2. the Cariban language of these people.
[1545–55; < Sp caribe < Arawak]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Carib - a member of an American Indian peoples of northeastern South America and the Lesser Antilles|
|2.||Carib - the family of languages spoken by the Carib|