Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A member of a Turkish reformist and nationalist political party active in the early 1900s.
2. often young Turk
a. A young progressive or insurgent member of an institution, movement, or political party.
b. A young person who rebels against authority or societal expectations.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a progressive, revolutionary, or rebellious member of an organization, political party, etc, esp one agitating for radical reform
2. (Historical Terms) a member of an abortive reform movement in the Ottoman Empire, originally made up of exiles in W Europe who advocated liberal reforms. The movement fell under the domination of young Turkish army officers of a nationalist bent, who wielded great influence in the government between 1908 and 1918
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a member of a reformist and nationalist group in Turkey that was politically dominant from 1908 to 1918.
2. Also, young′ Turk′. a member of an insurgent, usu. liberal faction within a political party or other organization.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
young Turk- Term for a tyrannical or unmanageable man, based on the members of a party of Turkish agitators that brought about the revolution of 1908.
See also related terms for revolution.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Young Turk - a member of one or more of the insurgent groups in Turkey in the late 19th century who rebelled against the absolutism of Ottoman rule|
|2.||young Turk - a young radical who agitates for reform|
radical - a person who has radical ideas or opinions
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.