Neolithic(redirected from Younger Stone Age)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Of or relating to the cultural period of the Stone Age beginning around 8,000 bc in the Middle East and later elsewhere, characterized by the development of agriculture and the making of polished stone implements.
The Neolithic Period. Also called New Stone Age. See Usage Note at Three Age system.
1. (Anthropology & Ethnology) the cultural period that lasted in SW Asia from about 9000 to 6000 bc and in Europe from about 4000 to 2400 bc and was characterized by primitive crop growing and stock rearing and the use of polished stone and flint tools and weapons
2. (Archaeology) the cultural period that lasted in SW Asia from about 9000 to 6000 bc and in Europe from about 4000 to 2400 bc and was characterized by primitive crop growing and stock rearing and the use of polished stone and flint tools and weapons
3. (Anthropology & Ethnology) relating to this period
4. (Archaeology) relating to this period
Ne•o•lith•ic(ˌni əˈlɪθ ɪk)
1. (sometimes l.c.) of, designating, or characteristic of the last phase of the Stone Age, commonly thought to have begun c9000–8000 B.C. in the Middle East. Compare Mesolithic, Paleolithic.
2. (usu. l.c.) belonging to or remaining from an earlier era; outdated; passé.
The period of human culture that began around 10,000 years ago in the Middle East and later in other parts of the world. It is characterized by the beginning of farming, the domestication of animals, the development of crafts such as pottery and weaving, and the making of polished stone tools. Compare Mesolithic, Paleolithic.
Belonging to the latest period of the Stone Age, during which polished stone tools were made and people began to grow crops and keep animals.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Neolithic - latest part of the Stone Age beginning about 10,000 BC in the Middle East (but later elsewhere)|
Stone Age - (archeology) the earliest known period of human culture, characterized by the use of stone implements
|Adj.||1.||neolithic - of or relating to the most recent period of the Stone Age (following the mesolithic); "evidence of neolithic settlements"|
neolithic[ˌniːəʊˈlɪθɪk] ADJ → neolítico
adj → jungsteinzeitlich, neolithisch