Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Zapotec: Zapotec civilization
n. pl. Zapotec or Za·po·tecs
a. A member of a Mesoamerican Indian people centered at Monte Albán in southern Mexico, whose civilization reached its height around ad 300-900.
b. A modern-day descendant of this people.
2. Any of a group of Oto-Manguean languages spoken in southern Mexico by the Zapotec.
[Spanish Zapoteco, from Nahuatl tzapotēcah, pl. of tzapotēcatl, person from Tzapotlan, from Tzapotlān, place name : tzapotl, sapodilla + tlān, place.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl -tecs or -tec
1. (Peoples) Also: Zapotecan any member of a large tribe of central American Indians inhabiting S Mexico, esp the Mexican state of Oaxaca
2. (Languages) the group of languages spoken by this people
3. (Peoples) Also: Zapotecan of or relating to this people or their language
4. (Languages) Also: Zapotecan of or relating to this people or their language
[from Spanish Zapoteca, from Nahuatl Tzapoteca, literally: people of the land of the sapodillas, from tzapotl sapodilla]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Za•po•tec(ˈzæp əˌtɛk, ˈzɑ pə-)
n., pl. -tecs, (esp. collectively) -tec, n.
1. a member of an American Indian people living primarily in central and E Oaxaca in Mexico.
2. the complex of Otomanguean languages spoken by the Zapotecs, varying in degree of mutual intelligibility.adj.
3. Also, Za`po•tec′an. of or designating a Mesoamerican civilization of the Oaxaca region of Mexico c600 b.c.– a.d. cl000.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Zapotec - a member of a large tribe of Mesoamericans living in southern Mexico whose civilization flourished around 300 to 900|
|2.||Zapotec - the language of the Zapotec|
|Adj.||1.||Zapotec - of or relating to the language or culture of the Zapotec people|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.