Zend(redirected from Zendic)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. The Avesta. No longer in scholarly use.
2. Avestan. No longer in scholarly use.
[Short for Zend-Avesta. Sense 2, from a misunderstanding of Zend in Zend-Avesta, as a language designation.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Languages) a former name for Avestan
2. (Other Non-Christian Religions) short for Zend-Avesta
3. (Other Non-Christian Religions) an exposition of the Avesta in the Middle Persian language (Pahlavi)
[C18: from Persian zand commentary, exposition; used specifically of the Middle Persian commentary on the Avesta, hence of the language of the Avesta itself]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a translation and exposition of the Avesta in Pahlavi.
2. Archaic. Avestan (def. 1).
[1690–1700; see Zend -Avesta]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.