bhag- / Indo-European roots
Examples of words with the root bhag-: -phage, -phagia, -phagous, baksheesh, Bhagavad-Gita, bhakti, esophagus, nebbish, pagoda, phago-, porgy.
To share out, apportion, also to get a share.
1. -phage, -phagia, phago-, -phagous; esophagus from Greek phagein, to eat (< "to have a share of food").
2. porgy from Greek phagros, whetstone ("eater, that eats metal"), also a name for the sea bream, from Greek suffixed form *phag-ro-.
3. nebbish from a Slavic source akin to Czech neboh, poor, unfortunate, from Common Slavic *ne-bogŭ, poor ("un-endowed").
4. pagoda; Bhagavad-Gita from Sanskrit bhagaḥ, good fortune.
5. bhakti from Sanskrit bhajati, he apportions.
6. Extended form *bhags-. baksheesh, buckshee from Persian bakhshīdan, to give, from Avestan bakhsh-.
[Pokorny 1. bhag- 107.]